mags

mags

Blood Red Road (Dust Lands Series #1)

Blood Red Road (Dust Lands Series #1) - This book sat on my desk for six weeks before I decided to pick it up. Initially, I was put off by the length (450+ pages) and dystopias in general. I've read too many blah-to-meh ones recently (Exhibit A: The Maze Runner, Exhibit B: Divergent), and the idea of starting another series -- because God forbid a dystopia not be a trilogy! -- was off-putting.However. After some encouragement from Noelle, who promised some fun ass-kicking, I decided to give it a try and I'm so glad I did! First, don't be scared off by the page count. This is an easy, fast read. Second, this is a well-written, easy, fast read. Third, this book, like the cheese, can stand alone. After finishing it, I immediately searched for when the next book would be released but even without a sequel, I would be content with this book. Saba, the main character, is awesome -- prickly and willful, but fierce and independent. The author creates a memorable, visual world but doesn't have to spend pages and pages describing it. This is the most I've enjoyed a dystopia since, dare I say it?, The Hunger Games.