mags

mags

The Paper Menagerie - Ken Liu Well, this short story made me cry more in 15 pages than any other book I've read this year -- except for Patrick Ness's gut punches masquerading as books. This story of the Chinese-American son of a mail order bride who learns of his otherness from cruel neighborhood kids and begins to resent the source of his difference, his mother, was heartbreaking, poignant, and familiar. It reminded me of all the times my brother and I would refuse to eat with chopsticks or speak Korean, how we demanded nasty Lunchables instead of kimbap, the DELICIOUS Korean version of sushi that was packed in our lunches.When Jack demands that his mother speak only English, she says,“If I say ‘love,’ I feel here.” She pointed to her lips.“If I say ‘ai,’ I feel here.” She put her hand over her heart.These two lines sum up why so many immigrants cling to their native tongue despite the protestations of their non-immigrant children.Thanks to Flannery and Leanne for bringing this story to my attention. It's definitely worth the few minutes it'll take to read. Just be sure to have tissues handy.