mags

mags

Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2) - Susan Elizabeth Phillips I love how I just finished books with male leads named Dallie and Panda (yes, PANDA!), and yet Kenny was the one I had the hardest time wrapping my brain around. I kept calling him Nicky. (Why? Who knows where thoughts come from. They just appear. -Lucas, Empire Records) I liked this one even more than Fancy Pants. There was great chemistry and dialogue between Emma and Nicky Kenny, and the requires-suspension-of-belief plotline actually worked in this zany story. I cracked up at the low-speed car chase. You also see more of Wynette in this one. I read #6 in this series, Call Me Irresistible first, and there's a tiny detail about Ted Beaudine in this story that will make readers of #6 smile. Something I love about Susan Elizabeth Phillips' books is that she creates these gorgeous manly men and then plops books in their hands (swoon!) or has them defend the gay guy without it threatening their masculinity (double swoon! double rainbow?). The female leads tend to be a little too virginal or sexually repressed or have baby fever, but they're likable and feisty and smart. SEP (yes, I call her SEP now) writes great friendships between women, but I love that she also writes great male-female friendships. In this book, Kenny's best friend was his sister Torie. This was such a fun book and a perfect pool read.Random: I noticed while reading this book that I give male Texan characters the voices of either Eric Taylor or Tim Riggins in my head.