mags

mags

White Cat (Curse Workers Series #1)

White Cat  - Holly Black, Jesse Eisenberg Audiobook rating: 2 stars.This is the second book of The Readventurer Challenge and... it didn't work for me. I'm not giving White Cat an official goodreads rating because the narration didn't hold my attention enough for me to completely follow the story. This is now my 7th or 8th audiobook, and I love listening to them, but Jesse Eisenberg and I just didn't mesh well together. And I'm not a virgin and I can drive! TMI? The premise of mafia controlled curse workers sounded like The Godfather meets Misfits, which is definitely up my alley. It had my attention in the beginning, when the main character wakes up teetering on the roof after a dream where a cat literally takes his tongue. He also has a non-stereotypical Asian roommate, which is an automatic 10 points. I liked the explanation of his cons and betting schemes, which had an Ocean's 11 vibe.However, it wasn't long before my attention was wandering, and not because I didn't like the story. My main issue with Jesse Eisenberg is that he has a quiet, kind of whiny voice. It was fine in my car when I could really blast the speakers, but around my house, I was mentally yelling at him to put some bass in his voice. SAY IT WITH YOUR CHEST! I followed along for about half the story until Cassel's brothers entered the picture and I couldn't remember who was who or who Maura was married to. I also thought the main character's name was "Castle" and totally judged him for it.Once I started imagining Armie Hammer reading me the book instead (and missing a few chapters in the process), I know I should've stopped and switched to reading the book for myself. However, the CHALLONGE was for the audiobook specifically and I wanted to see if I could stick to it. By the time the audiobook ended, I was completely lost and wondering if I had missed a file. I'll probably end up giving this another shot in paper form because the beginning was really promising.Since I did manage to get through the entire audiobook (that's TWO out of three She Made Me Do It books) I decided to make a gif.Catie, Flann, Noelle... CHALLONGE. :)