mags

mags

Psych Major Syndrome

Psych Major Syndrome - Alicia Thompson Look at the Asian guy with Miley Cyrus in this picture:As one of only a handful of Asian-Americans in my private high school, I've been the Asian guy in this picture. It was okay because Don't worry, Mags. You are cool. We're not making fun of you. No, you're just mocking everyone who looks like me, but being "cool" means going with the flow and taking the harmless teasing. Only it's not so harmless. And it's not so cool. It's fucked up.I got Psych Major Syndrome by Alicia Thompson based on a few reviews and the fact that it was bargain priced on Amazon. It was a passably entertaining book -- not the greatest, not the worst -- until I got to the chapter titled Dream Analysis (page 163). The protagonist, Leigh, wins 2nd place in a state writing contest and gets a trip to the awards ceremony in San Francisco. She finds out the 3rd place winner is someone named Li Huang for a poem called Cherry Blossoms. This seems innocuous enough until Li actually speaks.Why that person standing outside with sign?Why they don't get real sign?I only do for lots of money!Okaaaaaay, so he's a Chinese national not Chinese-American. Got it. But there must be SOMETHING more to his character, right? I mean, he won 3rd place in a college level state writing contest. Then, Alicia Thompson has our oblivious-bordering-on-mentally-challenged Li commandeer the microphone at the awards dinner to read his poem even though no other 3rd place winner does. But first, Li tells everyone to "Close your eye, close your eye!"Here is Cherry Blossoms:Cherry blossom fall from the skyWrapped up in the most see-through butterfly.Cherry blossom catch on the wind.Cherry blossom want to be our friend.And that's it. This poem and his disappointment at only winning a book and not money is all we see of Li. The only thing missing was Li shouting, "Miss Golightly!"The only point of this character/caricature is that Alicia Thompson thought it would be funny. And it's INFURIATING because it's so unnecessary and pointless! My only theory is that Alicia Thompson thought Li Huang would be a Mr. Collins-type character but I've read Jane Austen. Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors, and Alicia Thompson is no Jane Austen.A generous 2 stars for a book that had a promising start but ultimately fell short with its predictable plot, drawn out ending, and ridiculous characters.