mags

mags

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) - Mindy Kaling Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? is a book you can actually judge by its cover because both the cover and the book are hilarious. Mindy Kaling seems like your funniest, smartest girlfriend who happened to go to Hollywood, get famous, and write a book. She's relatable and endearing -- a girl's girl who can talk about Dirk Nowitzki and Fred Segal in the same sentence. There are a lot of comparisons between this book and Bossypants, which is natural considering both are written by female comedians at the top of their game so, you know, they must be alike, but the common thread between the two books is actually the AWESOMENESS of Amy Poehler.How can you not love her??I view memoirs like weddings. Some writers/brides make it ALL about them and can't stand sharing the spotlight with others. Other brides put their closest girlfriends in the most beautiful dresses they can find so everyone looks awesome. Mindy Kaling and Tina Fey are both in the latter category and it seems a lot of that has to do with the Amy Poehler effect. And I LOVED finding out about it from Amy's friends in their personal memoirs when they could've made it all about them. (I had to stop myself from adding a YA YA! right there. You're welcome.) This is the book I shared with my best friend since 7th grade while road-tripping to Vegas for my birthday over the weekend. It doesn't matter whether or not you watch The Office (I don't), this is a book you can still relate to and enjoy. Warning: You will be highlighting a ton of passages.