mags

mags

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins You know the term "helicopter parent"? I'm a helicopter reader. I am ridiculously protective of my books and the characters that come to life through them. Film adaptations always make me nervous because empirical data suggests a high rate of illiteracy amongst Hollywood executives. When I found out The Hunger Games, or MY FAVORITE SERIES, was getting adapted to the big screen, I put on my aviator cap and goggles and started hovering. I had already mentally cast my Katniss, Peeta, Gale, Haymitch, and Cinna, so I was obsessed with any and all casting news and how the real cast matched up to my mental cast. Aside from Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, EVERYONE else made me nervous. Miley Cyrus's boyfriend? Gale would never! Woody Harrelson?? Haymitch is a drunk, not a stoner! Josh Hutcherson? His name is longer than he is! Lenny Kravitz? Being married to Denise Huxtable does not an actor make! I analyzed every trailer and tried to tamp down my expectations. I decided to re-read the books instead so the story would be fresh in my mind for the premiere -- because obviously I was going to a midnight showing.I really liked the movie, but the standouts were undoubtedly Katniss, Cinna, Rue, and Prim. Those actors nailed their roles. They exceeded every expectation and brought these characters to life as Suzanne Collins wrote. Lenny Kravitz WAS Cinna. Rue and Prim were even more impressive, not only because they're so young, but also because they're the emotional centers -- Prim is Katniss's heart in District 12 and Rue is Katniss's heart in the Arena. Amandla Stenberg and Willow Shields had more of a performance burden on them than, say, Liam Hemsworth because if they didn't deliver, it would've undermined Katniss's journey. At least, that's how I saw it. But those girls, those actors, delivered. I had to stop myself from bawling at the Reaping and bawling during that scene in the Games. I can't even imagine the emotional and professional high those girls feel right now, knowing all the pressure that was on them from crazy helicopter fans like myself.And then I saw the article on Jezebel. Disgusted doesn't even cover it. Pissed isn't strong enough. When I saw Amandla Stenberg's tweet, "#spreadlove", I just got so sad that this 13, THIRTEEN year old girl had to be subject to this when she should be ecstatic. Since I don't condone meeting stupidity and ignorance with violence, let's have a chat. People who don't agree with Amandla Stenberg's casting but claim to be fans of the book: let's talk reader to reader. WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU READ?? What part of "dark brown skin" is difficult to understand, imagine, and see? I'm truly flummoxed. If you missed the description the first time around or it went over your head, I urge you to read the book again. You're not only missing the words, you're missing the point.