mags

mags

The Summer I Turned Pretty

The Summer I Turned Pretty - Jenny Han This is a really sweet book. It skews toward the younger end of the YA spectrum, with its first kisses and stolen glances, but there's a charm and innocence to it that's really refreshing. It's hard to believe that Belly, the narrator of this book, is the same age as Frankie Spinelli, the narrator of the excellent Saving Francesca. It’s like comparing the high school experience of Grease to that of My So-Called Life -- but the light, airy tone of this book is perfect for its summer setting.This book reminds me of a more grown up version of The Baby-Sitter’s Club Summer Specials that I used to read as a kid. Jenny Han nails the setting perfectly. You can picture the weathered beach house and the smells and sounds of the beach. Belly is just a bit too childlike for me. Her voice seems the same whether it is in the present (at 15 years old) or in flashbacks (at 10 years old). Nonetheless, this is a great book to get you in the summer mindset.*3.5 stars*