mags

mags

Queen of Babble: A Novel

Queen of Babble - Meg Cabot Had it not been for the A-Z Challenge, I would've abandoned this book early on because the first 1/3 was awful -- painfully awful. Queen of Babble is an appropriate title because everything is repeated at least 3 times. Did Meg Cabot have a page threshold that she had to hit? Lizzie Nichols is meant to be adorably zany, but she just comes off annoying. She also sounds 15 years old instead 21/22. The book picks up in Part Two thanks mainly to a plot assist from Sophie Kinsella's Can You Keep a Secret. Like Emma Corrigan in Can You Keep a Secret, Lizzie ends up spilling all her secrets to a stranger on the train who, knock me over with a feather!, ends up being the owner of the chateau she's come to stay in. Not only is he rich, he's tall, dark, and handsome. And taken. But fear not, friends, because his girlfriend is a bitch. Hijinks and TEARS OVER DIET COKE (Seriously. Like, more than once. Over Diet Coke.) ensue. Lizzie and the perfect Luke de Villiers realize they're made for each other. *SWOON* Oh wait, it's only been two freakin' days since they met.I love mindlessly entertaining books, and this one had some cute moments. But unless you need to read a book that starts with "Q", your time is better served reading Sophie Kinsella books (I highly recommend Can You Keep a Secret) than the pale imitation of them that Queen of Babble is.