mags

mags

Attachments

Attachments - Rainbow Rowell Sooooooo cute. This book is so cute! We start off with Jennifer and Beth, BFFs and co-workers at an Iowa newspaper. (Or maybe it was Nebraska. Whatever, same difference.) Told via their email exchanges, their chapters are smart and funny with great dialogue and chemistry. Think Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, or you and your best friend. Then the chapters alternate to Lincoln, the guy in charge of IT security at the paper. The story is told from Lincoln's perspective, and whereas we only get to see Jennifer and Beth through their emails, we learn about Lincoln and his background. And that's where we, and the story, run into a slight problem -- because Lincoln for all intents and purposes is kind of a loser. Let's look at the evidence:1. He lives at home with his mother.2. He hasn't had a relationship since he broke up with the love of his life.2A. It was his high school girlfriend.2B. They broke up 9 years ago.2C. NINE YEARS AGO!!2D. After he followed her out to college in California.2E. He's been adrift ever since.3. He spends his Saturday nights playing Dungeons and Dragons. In the first few chapters, Jennifer and Beth's snap crackle pop were what kept me reading because Lincoln was just so sad and dull and pathetic. And then came Lincoln's physical description.He's basically Joe Manganiello. YES. That plus the fact that he became less woe-is-me made the story pick up and then zoom into AWESOME territory.Plot: Jennifer and Beth write typical BFF emails to one another detailing the minutiae of their lives. They use their work emails despite knowing that Big Brother or IT Guy can read them. IT Guy Lincoln does read them because they keep popping up on his security filters. As he reads them, he finds himself falling for Beth. He doesn't know what she looks like, but he loves her personality. (That's the dream, isn't it?) Beth, however, has a long-term, live-in boyfriend who is a musician and therefore absentee. Remember that Lincoln isn't Prince Charming either (see evidence above). Yet.Overall, I was pleasantly surprised and charmed by this book. I loved the female dynamic. I've had some, if not most, of the exchanges that Jennifer and Beth have with each other. And as I read, I began to appreciate Lincoln more and more. First and foremost, I love that he's not a Darcy. He's shy and awkward and nice -- a totally normal guy (except for the whole Joe Manganiello thing). As a reader, you're not swooning over him in the beginning because there's nothing to swoon over! You grow to like him as he grows. I would've probably stayed up all night to finish this except my Benadryl kicked it. A fun, enjoyable read, I highly recommend it.